SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” It is a strategy of unique content marketing on your roofing website to help your site rank over other websites from your competitors on Google and other search engines.
While paid, Google Ads may rank your site first under the paid results, a solid roofing SEO campaign can boost your site’s visibility in the organic search results. Effective digital marketing with SEO includes:
- Professional website design
- Quality content that positions your roofing company as the local expert
- Inbound linking from reputable sources that boost your domain authority
So you have decided to use local SEO services for your roofing company. First of all, congrats on your decision. We say this because knowing your weakness is the first step to understanding your needs. This is part of how we started working with a new SEO roofing company client.
Our first step with working for any roofing company ready to engage in SEO services is performing a SWOT analysis. SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. Here is a specific example of a SWOT for a roofing company:
- Has been in the roofing industry for 30 years
- Has over 100 5-star reviews
- Low warranty claims or callbacks
- Strong sales strategy
- Estimating issues
- Customers delay payments
- On the lower side of the industry rates
- Industry trending to metal roofs
- Educating the company on new industry topics such as algae issues
- Lack of labor availability
- Seasonal business due to weather
- A national company comes into the local area.
Once we have assessed all four of the SWOT items, it can be useful to see how they might work together or contradict. Will a strength help you overcome a threat? Is a weakness preventing you from maximizing an opportunity? Overall patterns can be more fruitful than focusing on any one item. We use this information to create a holistic roofing company SEO services plan.
One of the best strategies when planning your digital marketing campaigns to attract more leads is incorporating effective search engine optimization (SEO) in your roofing website. You can also edge over competitors not using professional roofing SEO services.
Building a solid local SEO strategy can help your roofing company:
- Outrank your competitors on Google Maps and in the Google Search Results
- Rank your site highly for your targeted keywords
- Attract more leads and convert them to paying clients
For any digital marketing strategy to be effective, clients must do two things. 1) genuinely understand what the basics of Roofing SEO are and 2) leverage their expertise in the roofing industry to their advantage when working with a digital marketing agency that is contracted to perform roofing SEO services for them. We’ll cover everything you need to know to get started managing your roofing SEO strategy, including:
- What is SEO, and how does it work?
- Keyword research tools and how to target relevant keywords.
- Building custom websites for roofing contractors.
- On-page SEO vs. off-page SEO
- Creating high-quality written content for your roofing business.
- What is technical SEO?
- How Google ranks roofing websites according to domain authority.
- Tracking your roofing website traffic to develop effective internet marketing strategies.
- How to find a roofing SEO company that aligns with your local SEO goals.
We work with clients by asking them to list terms prospective customers seek when they need a roofer in your service area. We know from our 25+ years of experience that organic leads have an 8-10x better conversion rate than any other digital marketing tactic.
This does not mean you put all your eggs in the SEO basket, but the goal is to get outstanding placement for your top keyword phrases on Google and Bing. Let’s talk about how this is done from a search engine perspective.
Search engines will occasionally inspect your site using “crawlers,” or little bits of code that analyze your site structure and content to assign a ranking score. The higher your site ranks for your targeted keywords compared to your competitors, the closer to the top of search engine results in your roofing website will appear.
Finding the right balance of volume vs. intent is a true art form. Using SEO for roofing companies will help you get more leads by focusing on content creation and keyword research that offers a great balance between the two. Let’s talk about this in more detail.
Your keywords should target a mix of your roofing services as well as local SEO phrases, such as:
- Local search terms like Champion’s Club roofing repairs, Colchester CT new roofs, and Middlesex County Roofers
- Roofing services your roofing company offers, like a shingle roofing company
- Related services your roofing business offers, like gutters, siding, attic insulation, etc.
Be sure to include a good mix of short-tail and long-tail keywords.
Short-tail keywords are less specific, and most users perform these shorter searches when gathering information like CT roofing repairs. Your competitors are also trying to rank for these keywords.
Long-tail keywords are more specific. A user searching for “ceramic tile storm damage repair” probably needs help immediately and is motivated to pay for your services. If you’re the only roofing company trying to rank for those long-tail keywords, you’ll get most of the business from users searching for those terms.
You want to target effective keywords for your roofing business that have intent and a high search volume. But what does that mean?
Keyword intent is how motivated a keyword phrase a customer uses in their keyword search. “emergency roofing services ct” has a high intent vs. roofing services ct.
Search volume describes the number of times a potential customer searches for your keywords monthly. This is where short-tail and long-tail keywords come into play with actual site traffic from search engine results. Remember that more people search for short-tail terms to find what they want, so more roofing contractors compete in ranking on those short-tail keywords.
While you want to compete for those short-tail keywords, don’t forget the long-tail keywords. You could only get a click from 60% of shorter keyword search results. Even if longer keyword searches aren’t very common, you could get 90-100% of the clicks from those search results if you’re the only roofing company targeting those phrases.
All the roofing companies in your service area want to rank for common keywords and phrases, like “roofing company in Trinity, FL.” If 20 roofing companies serve Trinity, that’s a highly competitive market for that keyword.
Your roofing business might benefit from emphasizing specific services like “Hurricane roof repair in Trinity,” which would be a better keyword for a roofing company that offers insurance claim assistance in West Florida.
But what should you consider when picking your keywords? Remember that your keywords are the words and phrases prospective customers will use to find your roofing company in the search engine results.
When your roofing website ranks highly for certain keywords, prospective leads may turn into paying customers when they call your number from your site. Search engines track how often certain searches result in an action from a site visitor and rank your site higher in the search engine results the next time a user types in the same search terms.
If you already have a Google My Business listing with a well-defined service area, you don’t always need to include the location in your search optimization strategy. You shouldn’t use a location keyword every time you mention a keyword in your content. Google will recognize that the content doesn’t sound natural if you use the location too often. Instead, mix the location into your content occasionally.
You can do all this on your website or webpage to optimize your search engine optimization and have your technical SEO up to its highest level, and still not be ranking for the keywords you want to. This is where link-building comes into play in a big way. High-quality inbound links are the key to driving higher rankings period and end of story. But how do you do this? Let’s talk about a few of these:
- Are you a preferred supplier from a roofing manufacturer? If so, go on their site and see (if) they are linking off to your site. Also, see how they are linking to you. Are they using SEO-enriched keywords in the hypertext?
- Have you won any awards? Go to their site and get a link.
- Do you have strategic alliances with insurance companies, tool manufacturers, and supply shops? If so, see how to leverage their website to get a link.
- What about office equipment? Phone systems, specialized software, or even your business promotion companies? There is gold in those hills!
Since 1995 we have been designing and marketing websites that incorporate user experience and SEO best practices that improve your digital marketing performance in the roofing industry. There are a lot of excellent website design and digital marketing companies out there. But do they create a pretty site that looks great but does not help generate more traffic? Like we always say, you can have the most fantastic store in the galaxy, but if it is on the moon, how much business will it get you?